The Catalan composer Fernando Sor composed prolifically for the guitar, and his works form a key part of the classical guitar repertoire. He was also an accomplished and acclaimed guitarist, and a teacher who often performed his own guitar duets with his pupils. This collection brings together his complete studies for the instrument, from progressive pieces that were conceived for beginners to fiendishly difficult studies aimed at skilled musicians.
The Op.6 Studies are some of Sor’s best-known works, and although they constitute one of his earliest collections of compositions, they nonetheless showcase his refined idiom and masterful approach to polyphony. Published around ten years later, the Op.29 Studies are even more sophisticated and demanding than the Op.6 collection, featuring a wider range of keys, techniques and styles. These formidable studies are complemented by the sets of Progressive Lessons and Exercises – much simpler works, but nonetheless strikingly beautiful and full of character. Indeed, while Sor’s studies clearly demonstrate his profound understanding of the guitar, he never focuses exclusively on technique to the detriment of artistry and musicality. In short, this collection is essential listening for classical guitar enthusiasts.
Award-winning guitarist Enea Leone has won wide acclaim from the international press for his ‘ability to capture the listener’s attention right from the outset’ (Musica) and his ‘remarkable technique that allows him to play the music with great fluency and clarity’ (Il Fromino).
- Recorded in 2013 in Italy.
- Spanish composer Fernando Sor was one of the most important composers for his instrument, the guitar. He wrote extensively for it: sonatas, sonatinas, fantasias, character pieces, and a large body of “Etudes”, which are collected completely on these 3 CD’s.
- The studies cover a wide range of technical features in order of increasing difficulty, from simple beginner to an advanced professional level. In all studies the technical issue serves as a starting point of a purely musical discourse, never losing itself in dry technical exercises. Many a musical gem is hidden in these cycles of studies!
- Excellently played, with loving care and commitment, by guitarist Enea Leone, who recorded an impressive Integrale of the studies by Castelnuovo-Tedesco for Brilliant Classics.
- Booklet includes liner notes and biography in English and Italian.