This collection provides a complete account of Robert Schumann’s works for viola and piano. Schumann was a real innovator, who would often explore new instrumental combinations, sometimes bringing neglected or forgotten instruments back into the limelight. The works on this recording show just how many different moods the composer could evoke using the unusual combination of viola and piano, from the changeable nature of the Fantasiestücke Op.73 and the array of emotions portrayed in the Märchenbilder Op.113 to the passion of the Adagio and Allegro Op.70 and finally the intricacies of the Märchenerzählungen Op.132, with a little help from the clarinet.
The successful partnership of violist Lorenzo Falconi and pianist Sara Bacchini has been described by acclaimed performer, Pier Narciso Masi, as ‘a real Duo, in the most complete sense of the word. Their profound understanding of chamber music is supported by considerable talent, sensitivity and personality, and they are great communicators.’ They are joined for the recording by clarinettist Darlo Goracci.
- New recording, recorded 31 October & 1 November 2012, Chiesa di Santa Cristina, Bologna.
- This disc brings together all Schumann’s music featuring the viola as solo instrument.
- Robert Schumann, visionary Romantic, was also a very practical man, who wrote works which could be played on various solo instruments. For instance his Adagio and Allegro Op. 70 may be played on clarinet, oboe, cello or viola.
- These relatively late works of Schumann are on an intimate scale and present idyllic musical landscapes, the world of legends and fairytales.
- Beautifully performed by the Italian duo Lorenzo Falconi and Sara Bacchini.
- Contains liner notes on the pieces and biographies of the performers.