For her debut CD Vanessa Benelli Mosell has chosen a demanding programme that displays her remarkable talents and exploit the expressive potential of the piano to the maximum.
The repertoire spans just over 150 years – from Haydn’s dramatic minor key work of 1784, to Prokofiev’s 7th Sonata, the second of his three ‘War Sonatas’ completed in 1942. Scriabin’s 1st Sonata was composed at a time of great personal turmoil rather than international carnage of war. He had damaged his hand (possibly due to an extreme practising regime) and had abandoned his career as a soloist – a bitter blow to the young composer.
In contrast to all the Sturm und Drang of the three sonatas in her recital, Vanessa Benelli Mosell turns to Liszt for some southern European sunshine. The highly virtuosic Rhapsodie espagnole of 1863 demands fearsome technique from the performer as the work traverses folk tunes from Iberia (Liszt noted these down during a tour in the 1840s) which are worked into a virtuoso set of variations.
- The debut recording of the young Italian virtuoso Vanessa Benelli Mosell.
- Repertoire ranging from a stylefully played sonata of Haydn, through a dazzling performance of Liszt’s fiendishly difficult Spanish Rhapsody to a highly enervating Prokofiev Seventh, in which the final moto perpetuo simply blows one away!
- Vanessa Benelli Mosell rapidly develops her career, playing all over the world, playing with orchestras (Berliner Philharmonie) and solo (London Wigmore Hall recital).
- “A remarkable and fluent young pianist…remember that name..” (New York Post)
- "...she is the most natural musical talent I have encountered in my entire life as a musician and teacher." (Pascal Rogé)
- Karlheinz Stockhausen invited her to study with him in Germany. Her performances of Stockhausen Piano Pieces have received much critical acclaims and prizes during the Stockhausen Courses in Kuerten working closely with the composer until his death.
- Vanessa received numerous distinctions throughout her career, including the "Elba Festival Antares Prize" given by Y. Bashmet, the Honour Diploma of the Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Siena, Prize "Maria de Lourdes Avellar"in Portugal.
- She is Laureate of the International Piano Competition "Principat di Andorra", "Delia Steinberg" International Piano Competition in Madrid and the "Alexander Scriabin" International Piano Competition in Paris.
- Vanessa Benelli-Mosell was appointed a Young Steinway artist recently.